I woke up this morning to a brand new Facebook! Even my iPhone app has updated to reflect some of these changes.
1) Last week Facebook rolled out smart lists. These lists include, acquaintances, close friends, your places of work, and schools, people in proximity to your location, and restricted people.
- You can merge these lists with your current lists, and add or remove people to them at will. This is vastly improved from old lists which were rather tedious to update and maintain.
- the Restricted lists is like the limited profiles of old. People on this list will only see what you post PUBLICLY and they are not aware they are on this lists.
- If you click the left of the list names, a pencil icon appears and this will let you add or remove these lists from your favorites and rearrange the order in which they appear on the left side of your page
- Just below my lists are my pages, a feature that was rolled out several weeks ago.
2) Next up is the instant ticker, this shows what people are doing on Facebook in real time, a little snapshot of activity to paruse while you are reading other updates. I like this because I can now see if a friend comments on something while I’m reading work related content or vice versa. Excellent news for my short attention span and as yet undiagnosed adult onset ADD
- The settings that were once housed under account now live under the little arrow
In the newsfeed itself, a screen shot that I failed to capture, your news is now divided into top news, and recent news, both showing up concurrently. This change appears in my iphone app as well, as shown here:
Notice, that in the Earlier today stories, there’s a little blue triangle behind the profile photo, that’s because Facebook has marked them as stories I might find particularly interesting.
In addition to these changes, the body of the newsfeed and the entire blue bar have changed.
The blue bar now travels with you as you scroll down the page, making search easier.
And photos are much bigger in the newsfeed. Interestingly enough, I’ve noticed this change on friend’s photos only, not business pages. These pictures are much more attention grabbing which is nice. Looking at friends photos might be my favorite part of Facebook!
There are lots of other new changes coming tomorrow at Facebook’s Developer Conference, F8. Word on the street is that Facebook will get heavy music, movie, tv, book, and magazine integration. In addition, the 500 character limit is said to be rising to 5,000! I am so excited to see the changes coming!
So far I love all the changes. I check my lists compulsively, can see friends photos with more ease, and am always in the know thanks to the smart ticker.
What do you think?